castellum
pannonicum
pelsonense

Keszthely-Fenékpuszta

Late Roman Fortification

Excavations

Hungarian-German excavations at Keszthely-Fenékpuszta


03.08.2015 – 08.28.2015.

Excavation leaders: Péter Straub (ZMMI), Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)

Excavation funded by: Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, National Cultural Fund (Nemzeti Kulturális Alap)

The investigations chiefly aimed at verifying excavations in the territory of the Late Roman fortification known since the 19th century. In the beginning of the 1900s, Árpád Csák conducted investigations here, he was the first to localize Buildings A, B, C, and the so-called I. Early Christian basilica (Building 4).
In 1920, Kuzsinzsky published the ground-plans of the buildings. According to the contemporaneous methodological standards, Árpád Csák concentrated on exploring the stone walls and foundations. Narrow probe trenches served to reconstruct the ground-plan of the buildings, but he could not provide data for building phases. A Hungarian-German research project commenced in 2006, and first several preliminary geophysical surveys were carried out, mainly to verify the sites of former excavations, as well as tracks of walls and ground-plans of buildings. As a result, we proved that the ground-plan reconstruction by Csák was partly at fault, because in the case of Building C, actually there were two buildings. Secondly, we ascertained that several building phases occurred, whose traces the previous excavations failed to document (Building A). Thirdly, newer building elements were localized (Building 4).

Keszthely TV 1

Keszthely TV 2

Zalai Hírlap

Közkincs Kereső

Lánchíd Rádió

27.07.2014 – 24.08.2014

Excavation leaders: Péter Straub (ZMMI), Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)

Excavation funded by: Local Government of Zala County (Zala Megye Önkormányzata), National Cultural Fund (Nemzeti Kulturális Alap)

28.07.2013 – 26.08.2013

Excavation leaders: Péter Straub (ZMMI), Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)

Excavation funded by: Local Government of Zala County (Zala Megye Önkormányzata), National Cultural Fund (Nemzeti Kulturális Alap)

 Castellum Pannonicum Pelsonense 5

01.08.2011 – 26.08.2011

Excavation leaders: Péter Straub (ZMMI), Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität) Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)

Excavation funded by: Local Government of Zala County (Zala Megye Önkormányzata), National Cultural Fund (Nemzeti Kulturális Alap)

Verifying excavations in the territory of the Late Roman fortification at Fenékpuszta – so- called Building No. 25 (A). Investigations took place about the so-called Building A known since the 19th century. In 1920, Kuzsinzsky published the ground-plans of the buildings according to Csák’s research. According to the contemporaneous methodological standards Árpád Csák concentrated on exploring the stone walls and foundations. Narrow probe trenches served to reconstruct the ground-plan of buildings, but he could not provide data for building phases.
A Hungarian-German research project commenced in 2006, and first, several preliminary geophysical surveys were carried out, mainly to verify the sites of former excavations and ground-plans of buildings. As a result, we proved that the ground-plan reconstruction by Csák was partly at fault, because in the case of Building C, actually there were two buildings. Building A has a great significance both in the investigation of traces prior to the building of the fortification, and in the issue concerning the usage of the area in the Migration period; therefore our investigation concentrated on this area in 2011.
Building A has 3300 m2 large ground which is outstanding in Pannonian relations; numerous ideas have arisen for its function, ground-plan and periods.
Nevertheless, all agree on that it must be a villa building, however the question remains whether it had stood as a villa rustica before the construction of the fortification, and if it had, which relevant phase dates to that period. About the northern part of the building, the geophysical surveys and the ground-plan by Csák from 1906 did not coincide at all, as many phases had been built on one another. We managed to document the traces of the above in 2009. the excavations of 2011 clarified the western closing of the apsis and its connection discovered in 2009, as well as the track of the western and southern walls connected to the excavation area of 2009. The excavation provided important, new information concerning the transformation phases and chronology of the interior of the building.

Monitor Magazin

Zalai Hírlap

29.07.2009 – 28.08.2009

Excavation leaders: Péter Straub (ZMMI), Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Orsolya Heinrich-Tamáska (GWZO), Roland Prien (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität)

Excavation funded by: National Cultural Fund (Nemzeti Kulturális Alap), Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg

The investigations chiefly aimed at verifying excavations in the territory of the Late Roman fortification known since the 19th century. In the beginning of the 1900s, Árpád Csák conducted investigations here, he was the first to localize Buildings A, B, C, and the so-called I. Early Christian basilica (Building 4).
In 1920, Kuzsinzsky published the ground-plans of the buildings. According to the contemporaneous methodological standards, Árpád Csák concentrated on exploring the stone walls and foundations. Narrow probe trenches served to reconstruct the ground-plan of the buildings, but he could not provide data for building phases. A Hungarian-German research project commenced in 2006, and first several preliminary geophysical surveys were carried out, mainly to verify the sites of former excavations, as well as tracks of walls and ground-plans of buildings. As a result, we proved that the ground-plan reconstruction by Csák was partly at fault, because in the case of Building C, actually there were two buildings. Secondly, we ascertained that several building phases occurred, whose traces the previous excavations failed to document (Building A). Thirdly, newer building elements were localized (Building 4).

In the 2009 excavation we explored three areas:
1. We uncovered the eastern section of Building 4, while the previous geophysical surveys had revealed the porticus, and also the north-south direction road east of it.
2. Also we discovered the ground-plan of Building A (peristylum-villa), and a building revealed in the geophysical survey with basilica-like ground-plan, and several further building phases.
3. Finally, we clarified the two stone buildings in the place of Building C, and gained additional data for its building history and function.

 Castellum Pannonicum Pelsonense 5

 Castellum Pannonicum Pelsonense